Do you love your home? The best way to show the love is to keep it in good working order. We’ve put together a checklist that will keep your home love flowing, hopefully for years to come. For your convenience, we have turned this checklist into a PDF so that you can print it out.
If you’re just joining our monthly home maintenance checklist series, you should read up on the monthly home maintenance items.
February Home Maintenance items
We’re right in the middle of winter. But with the lovely weather we get so often here in Sacramento, California, it’s easy to forget that we still have lots of storms in our future. So don’t forget to show your home some love.
- Test sump pump
- A sump pump helps to remove water from the lowest points, such as in areas in a basement or crawl space. They help protect your home against floods or accumulating ground water./li>
- Check your manufacturer’s instructions for testing or do a quick search to find instructions on how to test a sump pump.
- Check any window wells
- Window wells are windows that let light into a lower floor that is partially underground.
- Make sure that water is properly draining away from window
- Make sure basement floor drains are working
- Check drains and supply lines for leaks
- Clean showerheads
- Remove showerheads and soak in plain vinegar overnight. If it is difficult to remove shower head or you are unsure that you’ll be able to get it back on without it leaking, you can fill a plastic bag with vinegar and use a rubber band to keep it on so it can soak.
- You can use an old toothbrush to help scrub off any small particles.
- A toothpick can be used to poke out any additional deposits.
- Turn all water valves off and on. This will help keep the valves from sticking.
- Inspect grout and caulk around tubs, sinks and showers.
- Replace grout as necessary. There are mildew resistant grouts available to help make cleaning easier.