You can keep your home in tip-top shape with regular home maintenance. We are creating checklists for every month, but these are the items that you should be doing each month.
- Clean kitchen drain and garbage disposal
- To clean the kitchen drain and help prevent major backups, pour in about ½ cup of baking soda. For best results, follow immediately with garbage disposal cleaning.
- To clean the garbage disposal, freeze a solution of 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar in an ice cube tray. Once the ice cubes have frozen, put them in your garbage disposal and turn it on. The vinegar will help eliminate bacteria and will deodorize, while the ice cubes will help remove debris from the garbage disposal blades (contrary to popular belief, ice cubes do not sharpen garbage disposal blade as garbage disposals don’t actually have sharp blades).
- Flush sink with hot water for a minute. You might see some bubbling, this is perfectly normal and won’t do any harm.
- Check fire extinguishers
- Make sure that fire extinguishers are not blocked.
- Make sure the gauge shows enough pressure
- Check under each sink, toilet and faucets for drips
- Change or clean air filters
- If you have dogs, allergies or several people living in your home, you will probably want to change or clean your air filter regularly
- Inspect hoses on washing machine, dishwasher and/or water filter for leaks
Monthly Home Maintenance Checklists