Just like a car runs better if you keep up with its regular maintenance, owning a home is easier if you regularly keep up with home maintenance. It is easy to get overwhelmed if you have a long list of items to do, so we’re helping you out by creating a monthly home maintenance schedule that can be easily accomplished in a weekend.
November is one of the busiest months, but its also a good time to keep up with your home maintenance mostly because the weather and time changes are a good reminder to do certain items. For your convenience, we have turned this checklist into a printable pdf – Bozzuto November home maintenace checklist – printout .
- Clean kitchen drain and garbage disposal
- To clean the kitchen drain and help prevent major backups, pour in about ½ cup of baking soda. For best results, follow immediately with garbage disposal cleaning.
- To clean the garbage disposal, freeze a solution of 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar in an ice cube tray. Once the ice cubes have frozen, put them in your garbage disposal and turn it on. The vinegar will help eliminate bacteria and will deodorize, while the ice cubes will help remove debris from the garbage disposal blades. (Contrary to popular belief, ice cubes do not sharpen garbage disposal blade as garbage disposals don’t actually have sharp blades).
- Flush the sink with hot water for a minute. You might see some bubbling; this is perfectly normal and won’t do any harm.
- Check fire extinguishers
- Make sure that fire extinguishers are not blocked.
- Make sure the gauge shows enough pressure
- Check under each sink, toilet and faucets for drips
- Change or clean air filters
- If you have dogs, allergies or several people living in your home, you will probably want to change or clean your air filter regularly
- Inspect hoses on washing machine, dishwasher and/or water filter for leaks
November Home Maintenance items
- Replace the batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
- Vacuum lint from the dryer
- Did you know that fires from lint build up in dryers are one of the leading causes of house fires?
- Vacuum your refrigerator coils
- You will extend the life of your refrigerator if you semi-annually clean the coils on the back of your refrigerator. It should be on wheels and shouldn’t be too difficult to roll forward. But please, if it is too heavy, get someone’s help. We don’t want you hurting your back.
- Check fireplace for damages
- If you see something that doesn’t look right, you might want to consider hiring a professional.
- Clean kitchen range hood
- Use a mild degreaser to remove grease and oil build up from the screen and/or filter.
- Insulate exposed pipes
- Clean gutters after leaves have fallen